Friday, March 21, 2014

Bagging Station


Something that I practically see every day, but didn't think to write a post about  until now are the bagging stations at all of the grocery stores I've visited in Japan. While bagging your own groceries is not something unique to Japan, the way it's done here is slightly different and consistent between store chains.
Grocery stores rarely have carts so you typically use baskets. When the cashier rings up your items, they get transferred from your basket to an empty basket. Your basket will then be used for the next customer. The cashier then estimates how many bags you will need and places that number in your new basket. Once you have completed your transaction you take your basket to the bagging station. The bags can be very difficult to open so the stations have sponges attached to hand pumps that moisten the sponge when pressed down. Using this, you wet your fingers slightly to make opening the bags much easier. When I first saw the sponge machines when I arrived in Japan I was extremely confused, but now I use them without the slightest thought.
I've grown accustomed to many little things like this so it will be interesting to see what it feels like to return to America.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I thought of a good blog post idea-- do they still have separate trashes for ice/liquid at fast food joints? I remember that is something I still catch myself looking for in the US!

    ReplyDelete