Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Fat, Sugar & Salt in Japan



In the 2.5 weeks I've been in Japan, I've had the opportunity to try a lot of new food. Most of it has been delicious. Some quite healthy, and some a little less so. In general though, I've noticed that when Japanese food companies use fat, sugar, and salt in their products, the tend to try to make the most of it. What I'm getting at is that, in Japan, if it's not good for you, it better be pretty dang tasty. In the US, I feel, there's lots of super fatty, super sugary stuff, that only tastes ok. That doesn't seem to fly in Japan.

For example, Mister Donut makes various sugary pastries that sometimes resemble donuts. Their products have some fat and sugar in them, but they make up for it with an amazing, slightly crunchy, texture and many interesting flavors. Similarly, the hamburgers at McDonald's seem to be of somewhat better quality. I would imagine the fatty American version of the McDouble wouldn't be received warmly in Japan.

It's also possible that I'm just trying to justify all the crap I buy to eat between the wonderful, healthy, meals my host mother makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment